James M. Bowen
Industry & Service Expertise
Jim Bowen has more than 25 years in public accounting, serving both private and public companies in tax, audit, business consulting, financial systems, business valuations and strategic planning.
Since 1990, Jim has focused his attention on taxation. Over the years, he has implemented scores of tax planning strategies for clients of all entity types, in the areas of IRS practice and procedure, state and local income taxation, real and personal property tax, sales and use tax, tax abatements and incentives, mergers and acquisitions, and tax accounting methods and periods. He also has significant experience in the accounting for income taxes, tax risk management, and the establishment of tax-based internal controls.
Jim is widely regarded for his work with SEC and private equity firms in the ASC 740 (FAS 109) and corporate tax outsourcing areas. Jim was a principal with Ernst & Young, serving as the area practice leader for their tax operations; responsible for dozens of tax outsourcing and process improvement projects with companies in Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, and Michigan.
He joined BMF as a partner in 2003.
- Real Estate
- Professional Services
- SEC “Second Source Provider” services
- Bachelor of Science in accounting, The University of Akron
- Master of Taxation, The University of Akron
Professional and Civic Memberships
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), member
- Ohio Society of Certified Public Accountants (OSCPA), member
- Allinial Global, Public Companies Community of Practice, member
- Leadership Akron, ClassXXVII, 2011 graduate
- St. Vincent-St. Mary High School, executive board chairman
- The University of Akron, national alumni board president
- The University of Akron, Masters of Taxation adjunct professor and board member
- The University of Akron, Accountancy Advisory Board