Melissa G. Dunham
CPA, MTax, MBA
Industry & Service Expertise
Melissa serves a variety of clients in diverse industries, including manufacturing and distribution, service and investment companies. She works closely with her clients to develop tax planning strategies, help identify areas of improvement and perform research projects. She is a proactive business advisor to her clients, bringing value to the relationship beyond just compliance services, working side by side in achieving their goals.
Focusing on the firm’s core tax practice, Melissa specializes in corporate tax returns including C corporations, S corporations, partnerships and LLCs. In addition to corporate tax planning, she provides tax compliance and planning services for closely-held businesses and their owners.
Melissa participates in a variety of firm committees, charitable campaigns and community activities. As a member of the firm’s tax committee and BMF University (the committee responsible for the ongoing education and development of its professional staff), Melissa acts and as an internal advocate for staff and clients on education, advisory and best practices.
Melissa’s primary responsibilities include coordinating all aspects of the tax engagements with the client and partners. She works closely with staff in the planning, executing, supervising and reviewing engagements. In 2019, Melissa was recognized as a Woman of Professional Excellence and received the coveted 30 For the Future Award, presented by the Greater Akron Chamber Young Professionals Network.
- Business Tax Compliance
- Family-Owned Businesses
- Individual & Wealth Preservation
- Manufacturing & Distribution
- Retail & Consumer Products
- State & Local Tax Services
- Bachelor of Science in accounting and business administration, Westminster College
- Master of Business Administration, Kent State University
- Master of Tax, The University of Akron
Awards and Accolades
- 2019 Woman of Professional Excellence, Women’s Network
- 2019 30 For the Future Award Recipient, Greater Akron Chamber/Young Professionals Network
Professional and Civic Memberships and Activities
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), member
- Ohio Society of Certified Public Accountants (OSCPA), member
- Community Support Services, board treasurer and finance committee chair
- Lake Girl Scouts Service Unit, treasurer
- Akron Tax Club, member
- Leadership Akron/Women’s Network Community Leadership Institute, Class 3
Many business owners, especially in the manufacturing sector, were pleased that the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) expanded the first-year bonus depreciation and the first-year Section 179 deductions. These two tax breaks are lucrative for capital-intensive manufacturers, who. Read More >>
Manufacturing owners have numerous questions around travel and entertainment expenses when attending trade shows, visiting with customers, meeting with suppliers, golf outings and other business trips. The rules and record-keeping can be a nightmare for the accounting team and. Read More >>
As we noted in our March Tax Reform Series #5 Advisor, the TCJA amendment caused significant confusion regarding the deductibility of meals that occurred before, after or during the entertainment. IRS Notice 2018-76 was issued to provide transitional guidance. Read More >>